The Chocolate Lake community is named for it’s most distinct feature, a man-made lake with a public beach that is popular with locals in the summertime. In the summertime, the city of Halifax posts lifeguards at the lake and offers free swimming lessons.
Stoneridge is a relatively new subdivision in Armdale. The community has a playground and a beautiful walking trail around a lake, called Hail Pond. It is surrounded by forested areas including Long Lake Provincial Park but is minutes from downtown. There are many different types of residences including high rise condominium units, apartments and large single family homes.
Many amenities in the Chocolate Lake, Stoneridge area have been improved over the last several years:
- New tennis court resurfacing and professional play surface coating
- New $1 million accessible building with accessible change areas, showers, washrooms
- New playground at the Chocolate Lake beach
- Community Signage, benches and landscaping
- New bus service #22 Armdale based on resident requests for service to the Stoneridge area
- Worked with the community and Halifax Police to stop late night partying/disturbances at the beach. Installed a locked security gate, cameras and increased police patrols
- Conducted secondary planning and public consultation with resident s in Stoneridge area. As a result enhanced walkway, playground, gazebo and future enhancements to follow
- Asked Council and Transit to have the existing Route 5 to continue to travel beyond Mumford to downtown and not terminate at the Mumford Terminal
Some goals for the next four years:
- Meet with the community to discuss priorities from the Stoneridge Community Master Plan
- Continue to work with Halifax Regional Police to address speeding
- Enhance the Chocolate Lake Recreation Centre and community programming